When does the hands-free phone law take effect?
Keep up with all things West Michigan business. Sign up for our free newsletters today.
What was the old law?
What does the new law change?
What are the exceptions?
- Calling 911 or first responders.
- Using a GPS or navigation feature as long as the information is not entered by hand.
- Using the device in a voice-operated or hands-free mode. It will be permissible to use a single-button press, tap or swipe to activate or deactivate the device or to select a name or phone number. It also will be OK to use permanently installed user interfaces integrated into the vehicle.
- Using the device if it is mounted and used in accordance with other exemptions.
- Working as a first responder or utility worker responding to an emergency or testing or operating an automated driving